1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 — first sentence
3. Book #2 — last sentence on page fifty
4. Book #3 — second sentence on page one hundred
5. Book #4 — next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
6. Book #5 — final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph:
Imagine a ruin so strange it must never have happened. He was wrong. The endemic conservatism of Texas, coupled with by fears engendered by the Cold War and the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, in which Russia and the U.S. came close to nuclear confrontation, all boosted Walker’s public standing. We are framed there in the window in our pajamas, and in different ways for each of us, I suspect we remained there, side by side, always.
“It must have been great!”
The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kinsolver.
Nothin But Good Times Ahead, Molly Ivins.
Case Closed, Gerald Posner
The Eyes of the Heart, Frederick Buechner
Freeing The Creative Spirit, Adriana Diaz